QuickBooks Desktop Complete Guide
Table of Contents
- Get Connected - actually link up the integration
- Setup Class Tracking for Multi-Location accounts
- Explanation of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) Tracking
- Converting from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop
- General Troubleshooting
Recap of What is Supported
|Sends Customer records to QB when an invoice was updated||Yes|
|Sends Customer records to QB when a customer is updated||No|
|Sends Invoice records to QB when an invoice was updated||Yes|
|Sends Payment records to QB when a payment is made||Yes|
|Sends Purchase Orders to QB||No|
|Sends Products to QB (as items) when a product is updated||No|
|Live Updates - updates are sent immediately||No*|
|Syncs "Account Location" to QB "class"||No|
|Able to send your entire Customer list to QB at initial setup||Yes|
|Able to import your customers from QB at initial setup||Yes|
|Invoices with $0 totals sync||Yes ***|
|Tax Groups support for complex tax configurations||No|
|Overpayments (a payment that is made for more than the invoice)||Yes|
|Split Payments (multiple payments to complete an invoice)||Yes|
|One-Time export all Customers to QB||Yes|
|One-Time export all Products to QB||Yes|
|Void/Delete in QB for Invoices when deleted in RS||Yes|
|Automatically syncs your customer databases both ways QB <-> RS||No|
|Imports payments made on the QB side||No|
|Works with Intuit Merchant Services||No|
|Refund Invoices sync||No|
|* They sync when you run the QBWC tool on your desktop|
|** They map as real customer in the software, not sub customers|
|*** They sync after they are marked paid|
What is Not Supported
The Quickbooks integration does not support use of "Discount" type items in inventory due to Intuit's irregular treatment of these items in their integration.
Please note that for Quickbooks Desktop invoices with the following will not sync:
1. Invoice with $0 (e.g. empty invoices, and invoices where the line item is discounted 100 %)
2. Refund invoices, or other invoices where the balance is a negative amount
3. Split payments (i.e. one large payment split among several invoices)
|Desktop Edition Support (Windows Only)||Supported|
|QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions||Yes|
|QuickBooks Premier (2002 or later)||Yes|
|QuickBooks Pro (2002 or later)||Yes|
|QuickBooks Simple Start (2006 or later)||Yes|
|Canadian editions of QuickBooks Pro, Premier or Enterprise (2003 or later)||Yes|
|UK and Australia editions of QuickBooks Pro or Accountant Edition (2003 or later) (TAX NOT SUPPORTED)||Yes, NO TAX|
|Canadian Accountant’s Edition of Quickbooks Desktop||NO|
Quickbooks Desktop uses the Quickbooks Web Connector (QBWC) to connect to us. The QBWC runs only on Windows machines. Mac is not supported at this time due to an Intuit limitation.
2. Click 'Connect to Quickbook's button located under the QuickBooks Desktop heading (on the right)
4. Start up the wizard and it'll tell you if you are ready to go
4B. Now you can probably just click "Configuration" to grab the .qbwc file that will setup the link between your QuickBooks company file and the program. Save it, and double-click it to run it. You'll need to copy the password we provide into your QuickBooks Web Connector to the password area shown in the next screenshot.
5. Now it's going to want to do an "Initial Import" - this won't add anything to your QuickBooks file, it just grabs the chart of accounts and such so we can do the mapping in the application. This is safe to do.
Click the select all and "Update Selected" to make it run right away so you can go to the next step
6. Step 3 is just warning you that if you move the company file you have to contact support, and confirming which company file you have connected to.
7. Here you need to "map" your tax rates to QuickBooks "ItemTaxCodes". Map them all to continue.
8. Now setup your "fallback product" that we'll use when you sync an invoice that doesn't have mapped products. This is sort of a safety net to get things to sync if you use a manual item somewhere randomly in your account.
9. Specify the deposit account, 99.99% of the time it's "Undeposited Funds"
10. Map your payment methods to some payment methods in QuickBooks. Payments will not sync if these aren't mapped.
11. Almost there! If you want all your QuickBooks Customers to be brought into your account, you can do that here. Once you click Import an "import job" will be queued up, the next time the QuickBooks WebConnector runs it will do that import job. It can take a couple hours to do a few thousand customers.
12. Same thing for Vendors...
13. Done! Now you can choose to have sync enabled or disabled. If it's disabled, the integration is turned off. If you enable it, Invoices will begin syncing after they are modified (in the future) - we don't sync historical.
How do map Tax Rates to QuickBooks Desktop?
The software can map to three different types of QuickBooks Desktop entities, depending on how it is used.
An ItemSalesTax, which can apply to a full Invoice, but not individual Lines
An ItemSalesTaxGroup, which can apply to a full Invoice, but not individual Lines
A SalesTaxCode, which can only apply to individual Lines on an Invoice
QuickBooks "Class" Tracking for Big-Chain
We apologize, but at this time Class tracking is only supported on QuickBooks Online.
COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) Tracking Explanation
Make sure you enter a "Price - retail" and a "Price Cost"
In QuickBooks Desktop:
Expense account should be "Cost of Goods Sold"
2. Go to /quickbooks/settings in the program
NOTE ABOUT ITEM/PRODUCT IMPORTS:
5. The invoice will sync to QBD
11. Your Profit and Loss Report will look something like this:
For this to work, you'll need a Quickbooks Online "Plus" account, which includes inventory tracking.
Converting from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop
You should use Intuit's method of going from QBO -> QBD, which is to use the 'Export data' and must be done in IE 8 or above. A google search will reveal multiple tutorials and screencasts on all the steps involved. Here is a screenshot of where to start in Quickbooks Online:
2. Disconnect Quickbooks Online in your account settings.
3. We'll do some backend changes on our end (please contact us at email@example.com).
4. Go through the standard Quickbooks Desktop integration steps.
Software resource/entity sync
If an Invoice/payment fails, you should see a red error appear on the Invoice or payment page with a message. This will often describe the error and give you first steps on what to look for. We have a glossary of Quickbooks API errors here: http://feedback.repairshopr.com/knowledgebase/articles/303472-glossary-of-quickbooks-api-errors
If you have a failed sync, you'll find a Re-Sync to Quickbooks button. Use this button and wait a minute to see if the Invoice/payment goes through.
QuickBooks Web ConnectorIntuit's QuickBooks Web Connector (QBWC) is a somewhat fragile product in that it is not actively maintained and often surfaces vague error messages. We recommend using QBWC version 18.104.22.168 found here.
Reinstalls, Host migration, switching or renaming company fileQBWC was built by Intuit with expectations that the host, file path, and file name of your company file would never change. If at all possible, don't change these things. Unfortunately, a Windows System Restore or an OS re-install can look like a host change to QBWC because of how it and QuickBooks manage data (across files and Windows Registry).
Things to note when trying to deal with OS/File System issues
- QBWC depends on the first company file opened for an integration/application and the path to that company file in order to "Remove" that application. That first company file must be open in QuickBooks from the same location to "Remove" and application from QBWC
- QBWC requires an application to supply an OwnerID and FileID which must be unique in QBWC, so the software row in QBWC must be "Remove"d before repairshopr.qwc can be re-added. Contact Technical Support for an alternate repairshopr.qwc if you run multiple accounts that need to connect to QuickBooks on the same host.
- To protect the data of users who run multiple company files on the same host, Our software takes note of the file path of the first connected company file and asks QBWC to only use that file path. Contact Technical Support if you need to move your company file.
- QBWC1039: There was a problem adding the application. Unique OwnerID/FileID pair value required
- QBWC1050: An application is already loaded with the same FileID. No need to add an application that is already loaded to the Web Connector
- Try normal usage and resolution (eg check logs, file paths, QuickBooks Edit->Preferences->Integrated Applications->Company Preferences, which user is logged in) because this requries editing Registry keys. You might also be able to skip most of these steps by hacking your registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intuit\QBWebConnector\SOAPWebServices
- Close QuickBooks Web Connector
- Remove QBWC entries from your QuickBooks company file(s) (Edit->Preferences->Integrated Applications->Company Preferences)
- Close QuickBooks (you may need to kill the QBWC32.EXE*32 process if you have 'Edit->Preferences->General->My Preferences->Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups' enabled)
- Uninstall QuickBooks Web Connector
- Remove QBWebConnector folder from: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\"
- Remove the registry folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Intuit\QBWebConnector
- Install QBWC (currently we recommend version 22.214.171.124 found here)
- Open your company file in Quickbooks
- double-click your repairshopr.qwc file from your quickbooks/sdk settings page in the account.