QuickBooks Online Complete Guide
Table of Contents
- Get Connected - actually link up the integration
- Setup Class Tracking for Multi-Location accounts
- Explanation of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) Tracking
- Automatically Sync Payments from QBO
- Converting from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
- General Troubleshooting
Recap of What is Supported
|Sends Customer records to QB when an invoice was updated||Yes|
|Sends Customer records to QB when a customer is updated*||No|
|Sends Invoice records to QB when an invoice was updated||Yes|
|Sends Payment records to QB when a payment is made||Yes|
|Sends Purchase Orders to QB||Yes|
|Sends Products to QB (as items) when a product is updated||Yes|
|Live Updates - updates are sent immediately||Yes|
|Syncs "RepairShopr Location" to QB "class"||Yes|
|Able to send your entire Customer list to QB at initial setup||Yes|
|Able to import your customers from QB at initial setup||Yes|
|Invoices with $0 totals sync||Yes|
|Tax Groups support for complex tax configurations||Yes|
|Overpayments (a payment that is made for more than the invoice)||Yes|
|Split Payments (multiple payments to complete an invoice)||Yes|
|One-Time export all Customers to QB||Yes|
|One-Time export all Products to QB||Yes|
|Void/Delete in QB for Invoices when deleted in RS||Yes|
|Automatically syncs your customer databases both ways QB <-> RS||No|
|Imports payments made on the QB side||Yes|
|Works with Intuit Merchant Services||No|
|Refund Invoices sync||No|
|Customer Purchases sync||No|
|** They map as real customer in RepairShopr, not sub customers|
QuickBooks has been a very powerful integration with a lot of complexity. This will be a long article, we try to summarize and keep the deep dive stuff toward the end.
1. Start in RepairShopr in Admin > App Center > Quickbooks
2. Click Connect to Quickbooks:
3. All you'll need to do is Authorize the integration:
**Note, if your authorization doesn't go through, contact Intuit to fix your Intuit ID.
4. After authorizing, you'll be placed into the QuickBooks Online Setup Wizard
DO NOT SKIP ANY SETTINGS PAGES OR SYNC WILL NOT WORK
5. Map your tax rates, just select the mapping and click Next
6. Map your non-tax, if you ever mark an invoice as non-tax for any reason, it will apply this "nontaxable rate" that you have setup in QB
7. In RepairShopr we allow "on the fly" invoice line items, those need to attach to an "Item" in QuickBooks - select which item that is here
8. Select the "Deposit Account" for payments to attach to (probably just use "undeposited funds")
IF YOU EVER HAVE AN ISSUE WITH PAYMENTS SYNCING, THIS IS PROBABLY WHAT IS NOT CORRECT
9. Select your "Accounts Payable" account, where your purchase orders should go to (probably just "Accounts Payable"). If your purchase orders don't sync it's probably because this important step was done incorrectly.
Also, note that when a Purchase order syncs over to your Quickbooks account you must create the bill and pay it to receive the items in your inventory. Then you can go back and receive the items inside RepairShopr.
If you receive the items in RepairShopr first, it will close out the PO which means you will need to re-open it again to bill it. It is easy to miss a closed PO so be sure to bill it and receive it before closing it in Repairshop to avoid discrepancies in your AP account and inventory.
10. Map your QuickBooks payment methods to your RepairShopr payment methods. If these ever get out of sync due to changes on either side, payments will not sync over.
11. Enable the sync! Once you do this, future records that are updated will get synced to QB
Optional Imports - Highly Recommended!
We highly recommend on the next wizard steps that you DO import customers, this will ensure the ones that exist in QB will map to a Customer in RS. So the next invoice created for that customer will get sent to the right one.
Same for products, vendors, etc.
The only reason to NOT import products would be if you have tons of products in QB that you don't want to use in RS. In that case, skip that step.
Importing Vendors will pull in ALL your vendors into RS.
Sub Customers Note:
In RepairShopr we don't have a concept of sub-customers, but QuickBooks does. The way this is handled between the 2 systems is that RepairShopr treats sub-customers like "regular" customers in RepairShopr.
When we import your customers, we'll try to import each sub-customer. If they all have the same email, they may attempt to update each other on the RepairShopr side. Give each a unique email one way or another in QB before importing for the smoothest import/setup.
Tax Groups / Grouped Tax Rates
We support the use of Tax Groups / Grouped Tax rates in Quickbooks Desktop.
Please note that for Quickbooks Online invoices with the following will not sync:
1. Invoice with $0 (e.g. empty invoices, and invoices where the line item is discounted 100 %)
2. Refund invoices, or other invoices where the balance is a negative amount
Product Types in Quickbooks
When your RepairShopr products are sent to QuickBooks Online, they'll be sent as the following QuickBooks types:
"Inventory" - if the RepairShopr item is set to maintain stock = true
"Service" - if the RepairShopr item has the category "Labor" or "Labour"
"Non-Inventory" -if the RepairShopr item is neither of the above
QuickBooks "Class" Tracking for Big-Chain
If you have a Big Chain account with RepairShopr, you may want to track invoice data from each of your locations. To do this, you'll need to set up classes. Note this is a Quickbooks Online only feature.
After you've connected your Quickbooks Online account with RepairShopr, go to your Company Settings page in Quickbooks Online. From here, you'll turn on classes tracking. If you don't have this option, you may need to upgrade your Quickbooks Online account.
Then, click the gear icon in the upper-right, select 'All Lists', and click 'Classes'.
From here, add your classes. You'll probably want them to match the names of your locations in RepairShopr, just to make things simple.
Now head over to RepairShopr, and go to Admin > Locations (big chain). You'll want to click 'Refresh QB Classes'.
Click 'Edit' next to each location, set the appropriate class, and you're done!
Now you can run reports for these classes in Quickbooks Online to see your sales per location!
COGS (Cost of Goods Sold) Tracking Explanation
Make sure you enter a "Price - retail" and a "Price Cost"
In QuickBooks Online:
Expense account should be "Cost of Goods Sold"
2. Go to /quickbooks/settings in RepairShopr
5. The invoice will sync to QBO
11. Your Profit and Loss Report will look something like this:
For this to work, you'll need a Quickbooks Online "Plus" account, which includes inventory tracking.
Automatic Bill Creation in QBO on PO Status to Finished
Converting from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
If you're looking to convert from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online, please contact RepairShopr's support team at email@example.com. We support conversions when your Quickbooks Desktop company file is converted to Quickbooks Online per Intuit's recommendations. There are also steps we need to handle on our end.
We're happy to help with this conversion -- just contact us firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help with planning the change.
If an Invoice/payment fails, you should see a red error appear on the Invoice or payment page with a message. This will often describe the error and give you first steps on what to look for. We have a glossary of Quickbooks API errors here: http://feedback.repairshopr.com/knowledgebase/articles/303472-glossary-of-quickbooks-api-errors
If you have a failed sync, you'll find a Re-Sync to Quickbooks button. Use this button and wait a minute to see if the Invoice/payment goes through.
Advanced Customer Troubleshooting:
In the even that you are getting an error that the customer is not correctly linked to it's QB counter part or has no QB ID at all. You can use this tool to match it up.
Invoice: Actual QuickBooks Error: The following required ListIDs:
CustomerRef are blank.
3. Locate the customer in the search bar, the names need to be an exact match for the system to locate the customer.
Note that this will remap the customer but if there are any additional invoices they will lose the sync id so they will not have a sync icon.