When you have the Leads module enabled, it functions like an email inbox and you can have it create tickets when people email you. If you do not want it to add unknown customers automatically when they email you, there are a couple of settings for this.
Emailing your custom inbox
If you have set up a custom inbox, you can define when you want it to create tickets when people email that address.
- Navigate to Admin > Emails - Mailboxes (inbound email).
- By the desired mailbox, click Edit.
- Click the Automatically Create Tickets from emails to this mailbox dropdown and select the desired outcome.
- Never - All incoming emails will appear in Leads with a status of New. No ticket or customer will be created.
- Always - All incoming emails will be converted to a ticket, and if it does not find the customer in your system, it will add them. The lead will have a status of "Won."
- Only for existing Customers - This is the setting you want if if you do not want it to add new customers. When someone emails you, if the customer exists in your system, it will be converted to a ticket, and the lead will have a status of "Won." Otherwise it will appear in Leads with a status of New.
- Click Update Mailbox.
Directly emailing the default address or filling out the Check-in form
All sites come with a default email of email@example.com, where "yourdomain" is the prefix of your site URL that appears before "repairshopr.com." There is also a check-in form (found in Admin > Website Integrations) that, when filled out, sends an email to that address. Both get sent to the Leads module.
In Admin > Tickets - Preferences, when you have Create Tickets from Leads (if valid) enabled, before creating the ticket from the lead it will create a new customer if it can't find an existing one in the system. This is because all tickets must be attached to customers.
If you do not want to automatically create new customers, you can do one of two things.
- Disable the aforementioned Create Tickets from Leads (if valid) setting. This will leave any emails in the Leads module with a status of "New," even if the customer already exists.
- Require some customer fields in Admin > Customers - Preferences that emailed leads will not fulfill.
In both cases you can then assign and convert a lead to the correct customer.