Implement a system for gift cards, where it can store the amount the gift card has, and also add credit
This thread seems to be talking about different things – so I need to get clarification if possible.
When you comment on this thread please state if you want “gift certificate support”, meaning a template to print them or something, and maybe a way to track the balance – OR -
“gift card support via Vantiv” where you have to buy magstripe cards with your design, have a Vantiv account, and deal with loading / checking balances / and the regulation that goes along with being required to allow people to cash out/etc.
We can refer to these as “basic gift certificates” or “magstripe gift cards” in the comments.
Feel free to say you want both! :)
The Vantiv “gift card support” is a fairly large project that we would need to see a lot of votes to get going.
A basic gift certificate tracking system might be simpler and then able to be built sooner. (but only if people want it)
basic gift certificates would be useful! Especially for Christmas!!
Ryan (CTO, Pinellas Computers) commented
Not that anyone touching this anymore, but I think the only solution would be the lesser work of creating an internal tracking system for balances, directly linked to a transaction/account. We can’t count on anything happening with payment processors, so why not just sit achievable goals instead of talk about unrealistic ideas?
Carl Lindsey commented
Definitely Basic Gift Certificates. We have to manually create and serialize these along with keeping up with balance tracking. An automated process for this would be a God Send!!!!
Matthew H commented
Looks like this was requested back in 2015/2016. Is there any movement on this topic? Perhaps something could be tied into the "customer" credit amount? Ideally it'd be nice for a separate and simple module that allows for the following:
1) Part number / Item for specific gift certificate amount as Inventory Item
1a) Inventory item for GC with amount to be entered at checkout
2) At sale, allocate that particular purchase/order/invoice number to a unique GC #
3) In some db/table Track GF #, Order/Invoice#/etc., and Customer #, plus GC amt
4) In Csr screen, allow a similar table view to invoices/etc., of any GC associated with the account, along with a total "available balance"
5) On Invoice/POS screen, add button/popup/field, showing customer available GC balance
6) On payment screen, add option to use GC balance (and utilize just like a CC or other payment... meaning, if they have a $40 balance and only want to use $20, allow that) - or - in the merchant options have option for partial use or "use complete balance first".
gift certificate templates would be wonderful. Serialized with balance support would be awesome.
Gavin Barnes commented
Gift Certificate support mainly but both would be great
Andy Klein commented
Basic gift certificates
Basic Gift card support would be as followed;
1. System keeps track of gift card numbers.
2. System keeps track of date created, date last used, expiration date (optional), value & purchase history.
3. In the POS, a universal SKU such as "GIFTCARD" would prompt the user for gift card number and value.
4. New Section: "Gift Card Inquiry" where employees can verify the balance, purchase history, etc. and managers can change the value, delete gift cards, etc.
NOTE: At our store, we have plastic gift cards with randomly generated numbers. We scan them when the system asks for the number, we then specify the value and that's it.
We are actually quite surprised this feature is not already in the system as we have looked at more than a dozen other systems at this point, and they almost all have it. Sounds like something basic to us.
Basic gift certificates
gift certificate support
All Seasons Power Equipment commented
Basic support would be great. If set up properly mag-stripe cards could be used as well as printed certificates. Same would work great for store credits also.
Would love basic gift card support. Proper magnetic cards would be cool, but really anything at all that we aren't making up while the customer is standing there would be a huge improvement!
A gift card/certificate that can be printed out via Repairshopr along with a unique barcode and tracked would be perfect, this way it can be created in any amount and it can be printed on multiple different mediums (cards, sheets, stickers, online, etc.).
Definitely needs gift card support. I have just added store credit to a previous winner of a my gift card raffle. But i would be nice to present them with a gift card template which is linked rather than a standard invoice.
I would also be a way customers can buy gift cards from us for Christmas and then they could use it towards buying products.
I would definitely go for Gift Certificate Support for basic gift card issuing and tracking.
Deffo up for both (but a uk version for Vantiv)
I'm voting for the Gift Certificate Support.
Jay Stauffer commented
Just a simple Gift card with a barcode would be sufficient for us! But it would be VERY much appreciated!
Any kind of Gift certificate support would be really great honestly
Jay Stauffer commented
Yes, basic gift certificates would be VERY appreciated as we do a fair amount of these! It could either be from a Magstrip or barcode, but we would prefer a barcode type so the cards don't get corrupted by magnets or phones and such.