I suggest you ...

Need to be able to change Ticket Problem and Referral types without losing information

Because the ticket problem and referral types are done by a list, you cannot edit any of them and preserve the information that has been linked to those "types." Because of this, you cannot correct spelling errors or change the name of types for accuracy, unless you also want to loss that information or have a duplicate or similar item.

Also, there is no way to organize these lists. It may not sound like a big deal, but being able to select an item in alphabetical order is much better than having to search for it in a drop down.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dean Ingraham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    After almost 3 years and no update STILL!!!!!

    Horrible!

  • Ryan (CTO, Pinellas Computers) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    Copy of my original post from duplicate post on 6/23/2014 - [Change list "types" to auto-fill drop downs] :

    I was originally making this suggestion to request the "referred by" field type be converted; but then realized there's several different lists and modules in RS that are using inferior, non-editable, databases. Specifically, the "referred by" field is hugely important information, as you all know. My list of ways-customers-are-acquired is ever-growing. As of now, I've tried to combine certain referred terms together to make it easier to figure out what we're looking for. However, this is proving more difficult.

    I have the perfect solution for how to add/edit/delete these types of terms, and the best part is you're ALREADY using it! It's the same as your inventory items fields! They are amazing, and here's what is to be gained by converting ALL lists in RS to the same type as inventory items:

    - Items are searchable by ANY word in the description (ie. I could just type FAMILY and it would pull up the term called CUSTOMER REFERRAL, FRIEND, FAMILY, PREVIOUS CUSTOMER)
    - Items are editable and would update existing uses of existing terms (which is a big deal because right now you can only delete a term, which deletes all uses of that in the system, including existing)
    - Items are organized (I have no idea why the current system doesn't let you organize by name or specific order - very annoying)

    This is a simple conversion request, NOT a new feature. It's so obvious that the way inventory items is great, which is why it's used in the module with the most values in it. Why not start using this "item list" method for EVERYTHING - Ticket problem types, ticket status list, list of product categories, logistics, preferences, etc.

    Please let me know if this makes sense. It's a really good idea to make the system more "editable", rather than just deleting and adding stuff all the time.

  • Ryan (CTO, Pinellas Computers) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    Darn, our votes for the exact same thing are scattered between 2 separate forum posts. I had made this one literally 2 weeks before this one was made:

    http://feedback.repairshopr.com/forums/165658-general/suggestions/6088913-change-list-types-to-auto-fill-drop-downs

    @RS - Can you merge these votes together or something. Any updates on this (or mine, which talks about even more modules where list types could use adjusting)?

  • Ken Peddie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    This is a biggie. We should not be able to actually delete an item from a list, just mark it as inactive. Would still show in old jobs where it had been selected but not in new ones. Little "if active=true" would solve this problem. Also being able to organise lists its required (referral source, job type etc)

  • Tim Nyberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    I would also add the Custom fields to this list, I think the name of the field should be getting updated not the entire field.

    It looks like the data is actually preserved in the background, I did an experiment with this. I populated data into a custom field, then changed the name, it was all gone. But when I changed the name back the data came back so I suspected that the entire field was getting updated as if it was making a new record not just updating the name of the record.

Feedback and Knowledge Base